- Simmer the beets, covered in salted water, until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Dip the beets in cold water until they are cool enough to handle. Slip off the skins.
- In a medium-sized pot, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and reserved beet liquid. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Whisking constantly, cook for 30 seconds or until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until melted.
- Gently stir in the beets and cook to heat through.
- Clean the greens in running water and steam until tender. Serve beets hot on bed of steamed greens.