- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh savory
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 12 ounces mixed zucchini/Summer squash, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans. Sauté onion in butter until translucent. Let cool, then toss with cheese, flour, savory, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
Layer 1/6 of potatoes in concentric circles in bottom of 1 prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/4 of squash in concentric circles atop potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Repeat with 1/6 of potatoes, then 1/4 of squash and 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Top with 1/6 of potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture and press gently to flatten. Repeat procedure with second cake pan and remaining potatoes, squash, oil, and cheese mixture.
Cover pans with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer. Cut into wedges and serve.
Adapted from Bon Appétit, June 2001